Jerry’s practice focuses on advising clients in all phases of the construction process and litigating both private and public construction matters.
Jerry Negrete’s practice focuses on advising clients in all phases of a construction project and litigating both private and public construction matters. She helps public owners navigate the procurement process and works with public and private owners and contractors to review and negotiate contracts and resolve payment and performance disputes prior to and during litigation. Jerry has extensive ties to and experience in the construction industry and enjoys helping clients achieve their goals.
On a Personal Note
Jerry is a Teach For America alumna. She taught elementary school in Chicago for two years and remains active in the Austin education community through board service and philanthropy. Jerry and her husband Diego enjoy travel, live music, and introducing their son to all the wonderful experiences Austin has to offer.
- Obtained final summary judgment for a developer accused of tortious interference and aiding and abetting related to the purchase of land in Pflugerville, Texas.
- Represented a Rio Grande Valley municipality in a multi-million dollar suit against its design engineer for negligence, fraud, and breach of contract in the design of a water treatment plant. The case was ultimately resolved prior to trial through a favorable settlement for the City.
- Advised governmental entities and charter schools on procurement compliance and available alternative delivery methods.
- Represented a drilling subcontractor in a week-long arbitration proceeding related to a payment claim involving the construction of a toll road.
- Represented a general contractor in a payment dispute with a private owner.
- Secured a favorable settlement prior to arbitration.
Seminars & Published Works
- “On Time and Under Budget: Successful Construction and Renovation Project
Strategies,” Texas Charter Schools Conference, October 2018
- “Protecting Your Right to Payment,” Texas Contractor, October 2018
- “Procurement Law for Charter Schools – Facilities and Construction,” Texas
Charter Schools Conference, October 2017
- “Charter School Procurement Basics,” The Network Summer Summit, June 2017
- “Texas Trust Fund Act,” Texas Contractor, February 2017
- “Procurement Law for Charter Schools,” Texas Charter Schools Conference,
- “Alternative Delivery Methods: Design-Build:Vertical,” Texas Contractor, August
- “Engineering Ethics,” HalfMoon Seminar, May 2016
Professional Associations and Memberships
Austin Bar Association, Construction Law Section
Travis County Women Lawyers Association
ACE Mentor Program of Austin, Board of Directors (2016 – 2019)
BookSpring, Board of Directors (2015 – 2018)
Teach For America Austin Alumni, Board Member (2011 – 2016)
Bar & Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
J.D., University of Texas School of Law, 2012 (Articles Editor, Texas Journal on Civil Liberties and Civil Rights)
B.A., Government, cum laude, University of Texas at Austin, 2006
Recent Works by Jerry Negrete
Jerry Negrete will speak to the membership and guests at the Texas Charter Schools Association's Annual Conference. This year's conference takes place between Oct. 11-13 at the Gaylord in Grapevine. Jerry will discuss procurement for charter [...]
The 85th Regular Session of the Texas Legislature ended on May 29th. Many commentators state this legislative session was less productive than usual, as only 17 percent of filed bills passed both chambers and await [...]
The Texas Trust Fund Act governs how contractors, subcontractors, and, sometimes owners, can use funds they receive on construction projects in Texas. Download the full article.