William L. Erwin
Bill’s practice focuses on the transactional and dispute resolution aspects of construction law.
Bill’s experience includes working with clients in all phases of the construction process with an emphasis on contract drafting and negotiation, prevention and resolution of claims, close-out, and dispute resolution. Bill spent the first decade of his career as a commercial architect, where his practice encompassed all aspects of project design and construction on large-scale private real estate developments, as well as municipal and institutional projects. His regulatory and procurement expertise has proven invaluable on complex mixed-use and sustainably master-planned projects. His background in design and project management provides him a unique understanding of the complex technical issues involved in construction disputes and allows him to better serve clients before, during and post construction.
- Successfully defended road contractor in a lawsuit filed by the City of Buda which claimed over $1million in alleged road repair damages. The jury awarded the City nothing and awarded the client its unpaid retainage plus statutory Prompt Pay Act interest due to a “no bona fide dispute” finding by the jury.
- Represents national construction materials supplier in asphalt pavement defect claims against contractors and design professionals.
- Represented prominent Texas general contractor against Kansas owner/developer in complex multi-party construction defect claim arising from damages sustained by Austin area hotel during Tropical Storm Hermine.
- Represented prominent Texas general contractor against the Houston Rapid Transit Joint Venture in construction delay claims in relation to the Houston METRORail Expansion Project.
- Represented local pier driller in contract dispute against JE Dunn Construction and obtained favorable settlement in mediation.
- Assisted in representation of international general contractor against construction defect claims asserted by the North Texas Tollway Authority in relation to the President George Bush Turnpike in Dallas, Texas.
- Defended prominent Texas general contractor against construction defect claims asserted by USAA in relation to the renovation and construction of USAA’s corporate headquarters in San Antonio, Texas.
- Assisted in successful defense of general contractor against construction defect claims by subsequent purchaser of condominium project.
- Assisted in successful representation of prominent Texas general contractor in relation to construction defect claims asserted against underground plumbing subcontractor. Jury awarded the client all damages plus costs, attorney’s fees and interest.
- Assisted in successful representation of several condominium associations in asserting construction and design defects (stucco and EIFS) against contractors, suppliers and design professionals.
Representative Appellate Experience
- T&V Optimum, LLC d/b/a Optimum Steel Industries v. Andrew Romero d/b/a Romero Inspection and Fabrication; In the Court of Appeals for the Third District of Texas, Austin (2013)
- C.D. Henderson Construction Services, LTD v. Ranger Excavating, LP; In the Court of Appeals for the Third District of Texas, Austin (2010)
- Emerson Construction Company, Inc. and Western Surety Company v. Ranger Fire, Inc; In the Court of Appeals for the Third District of Texas, Austin (2010)
- C.D. Henderson Construction Services, LTD v. All Seasons Wateproofing and Restoration, Inc; In the Court of Appeals for the Third District of Texas, Austin (2010)
Areas of Practice
- Complex Construction Claims
- Arbitration and Mediation
Bar and Court Admissions
- National Council of Architectural Registration Boards
- Texas Board of Architectural Examiners
- Registered Architect – State of Texas
J.D., University of Texas School of Law, Austin, Texas (2012)
Master of Architecture, University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, Texas (2002)
B.S., Texas A&M University, College Station (2000)
“Principles of Ethics for Engineers” Central Texas Infrastructure Design and Construction Symposium, 2014
“Change Orders in Texas: Effective Change Management” Lorman Seminar, 2014
“Construction Law for Public Projects: Design Professional Contracts and Project Management” HalfMoon Seminar, 2013
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Texas
- Austin Bar Association, Construction Law Section
- American Institute of Architects
- Texas Society of Architects
- Austin Contractors and Engineers Association
- Associated Builders and Contractors, Central Texas Chapter
- The Associated General Contractors of America
- The Jefferson Society
Recent Works by William L. Erwin
Bill Erwin will speak at the State Bar of Texas Construction Law Section's Basic Course in Texas Construction Law. The annual conference will be held in Austin this year on November 12-13. Bill will speak [...]